DFU mode stands for Device Firmware Upgrade that allows iOS users to put their phone into the interface with iTunes without loading operating system or the bootloader.
This mode is very useful for upgrading, downgrading firmware, and restoring a jailbroken iOS device. If the DFU mode makes you interested, then here is step-by-step guide to put iPhone X in DFU mode.
Steps to Put iPhone X in DFU Mode
Before proceeding, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer.
- Pug your iPhone X to the computer and launch iTunes.
- Next, switch off your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Shut Down > Swipe the slider to the right.
- Now press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Next, press and hold the Volume down button while still holding the side button.
- Continue holding them for 10 seconds.
At this time, if your phone shows the Apple logo, then you have to repeat the above mentioned steps.
- Now go of the Power button but continue to hold the Volume down button for around 5 seconds.
Once you see the “plug into iTunes” message, then you have already put your device in recovery mode, and you need to repeat the steps again.
But if your phone’s screen turns black, that means you have successfully entered the DFU mode to downgrade or restore iTunes.
How to Confirm If Your Phone Has Already Been in DFU Mode?
To check whether your phone has been in the DFU mode or not, here are some things you should note:
- If your screen shows an Apple logo, that means you haven’t followed the steps correctly and you should restart again.
- Do the same for device’s that show an iTunes logo.
- If iTunes doesn’t appear a popup message saying iPhone has been detected then it means it hasn’t entered the DFU mode.
Once you have successfully upgraded or restored your iPhone, it will quit the DFU mode automatically. However, if you accidentally entered the DFU mode, then you just force reboot your iPhone by holding down Volume Down + Power buttons until you see the Apple logo.