While Xiaomi promised to update all Mi A1 devices to the official Android 9.0 version until now the phone is still running on Android 8.1 Oreo. So, if you want to update your Xiaomi Mi A1 to the latest Android Pie firmware, then the new LineageOS 16.0 custom ROM will help you until the official Android Pie update is released from Xiaomi.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions. It can be used without any Google app installed. You will need to install your own Google Applications package (gapps).
OS Version: 9.x Pie
Kernel: Linux 4.x
Last Updated 2018-12-31
- Almost everything
- Green tint in HAL1 camera apps
Before proceeding, you first check requirements so that the process is successful.
- Make sure your Xiaomi Mi A1 has already been installed a TWRP 3-2-3 recovery to flash the LineageOS 16.0 ROM.
- Back up important data on your Mi A1, since the process will wipe your device’s internal storage.
- Keep your phone battery at least 50% so that it will not shut down during the process. Else, it might end up bricking your phone.
The update is fairly your responsibility and we will not be blamed for any sort of bugs created on your Mi A1 after the Android update. So, you should be ready to take the risk yourself. Additionally, make sure that you must not install this custom ROM on other devices. If you encounter any issues, let’s know in the comment, we’ll find out solutions for you.
Steps to Flash LineageOS 16.0 ROM on Xiaomi Mi A1
- First of all, download the LineageOS 16.0 ROM for your Xiaomi Mi A1 and OpenGapps 9.0
- Once done, copy both the files into the internal storage of your phone using a USB cable for the connection.
- Power your phone off, detach the USB cable and boot your phone into TWRP Recovery mode by pressing & holding Power + Volume Up buttons altogether.
- From there, tap on Wipe > Advanced Wipe and then tick Dalvik/ART, Cache, Data, System and swipe to confirm it.
- Tap on Install and browse to the LineageOS ROM file on your phone internal storage. Simply swipe the slider to start the installation. Wait until the process is completed.
- Do not reboot your phone yet, continue to flash Gapps file through TWRP recovery to install Google services on your Mi A1.
- Once the installation is successful, return to the Recovery menu and simply tap on “reboot”.
That’s all! You have successfully flashed the LineageOS 16.0 ROM on your Xiaomi Mi A1. You can now surf your phone to experience all the new features of Android Pie. If your phone faces the bootlooop issue, then simply boot your phone into TWRP recovery and make a wipe. Let’s know the changes you see in your phone post update. If you encounter other issues, ping us back in the comment section, we’ll help you out.