iTunes in macOS 10.15 Cataline has been divided into three separate apps. When connecting your iPhone/iPad to your Mac running the latest version, you can still back up, restore your iOS device like before without the need for iTunes.
In macOS Catalina, the Finder already adds the backup, update and restore options. Additionally, when plugging your iPhone into your Mac, you will no longer be prompted to automatically open iTunes. You can directly access your iPhone/iPad through the Finder along with other connected hardware devices.
To sync data on your iOS devices on the macOS Catalina you can easily do it in the new entertainment apps. The TV app will take responsibility for syncing your Movies, TV shows and videos. Podcasts app will sync your podcasts and the new Music app will sync all your music. Here is how to sync, back up, restore your iPhone/iPad in MacOS Catalina.
Sync iPhone through the Finder in macOS Catalina
If you connect your iPhone/iPad to your Mac, it will immediately pop up in the Finder sidebar, allowing you to back up, restore your iOS device.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad running iOS 13/iPadOS 13 to your Mac through a Lightning/USB C cable
- Open a new Finder window from the desktop of your Mac, click on File menu select the New Finder Window. You can also open the Finder by pressing the Command+N shortcuts on the keyboard.
- Now, click on your device from the Finder sidebar, and you will see it listed under the Locations
- Select the items you want to sync underneath the available apps like TV, Music, Podcasts, and other content alongside the Finder window on your Mac
- When you are done, click on the Apply button at the bottom right corner and start the syncing process.
Wait for it to complete the process and unplug your iOS device when done.
Back up your iPhone in macOS Catalina
If you want to create a backup of your connected iPhone/iPad to your Mac, which contains all your customizable settings, files, and apps, just follow these steps below.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad into your Mac running macOS Catalina 10.15 version
- Open a Finder window from the desktop, and choose the File menu or you can open a New Finder Window by pressing Command – N keys at once.
- Click on your device icon, which is listed underneath the Locations
If you are asked for a passcode to unlock or to Trust This Computer, simply follow the onscreen instruction.
- In the Backups section, click on the button “Back up all of the data to this Mac”.
- Click on the box next to “Encrypt local backup” on BackUp section and then create an encryption password for the backup if you want. Continue to click “Set Password”
- Finally, click on Back Up Now button.
Once the backup process completes, take note at the Latest Backup at the bottom pff the Finder window to view the date and time.
Restore iPhone in macOS Catalina
To restore all data from a backup on your iPhone using your Mac, you simply follow these steps below
- Plug your iPhone /iPad running iOS 13/iPadOS 13 into your Mac running M macOS Catalina 10.15 through a cable.
- From the desktop of your Mac, open a new Finder window, by clicking on File menu and choosing New Finder Window. You can also press Command – N buttons at once.
- Click on your device icon from the sidebar of Your phone icon is underneath the Locations option.
You might need to click on Pair if it’s the first time you connect your iOS device to this Mac.
- Below the Backups section, choose Restore Backup
- Choose your preferred backup you created earlier and click on Restore.
Wait for the process to complete, which can take up to one hour, depending on the size of your backup. Enter the password if it’s your encrypted backup.
That’s how to sync, back up, or restore iPhone/iPad on MacOS Catalina. If you have any question, let’s know in the section below.